11.06.2011

falling back

{via}

it's funny how my attitude towards Daylight Savings has changed as I've gotten older...I used to be happy for an extra hour of sleep, but today I sprang out of bed at my usual hour and was thrilled by the idea of a whole extra hour of being awake!  what to do with it???

do you try to be productive with that extra hour?  maybe work out, since you don't have that "no time" excuse today?  or do something fun and indulgent?  all the online lists I read suggested silly things like "learn to play a song on a ukelele"....I think they vastly overestimate my musical ability.

this year, falling back coincides with me falling into a new job.  for at least the next few months, I'll suddenly have much less time to spend with Josh and my kitties, and less time to do what I love...making things, taking pictures, cooking good food, walking around and looking at the world.  I guess the challenge is to find that extra hour every day, however you can.  Because really the world keeps turning at the same rate, no matter how we decide to divide it up...it's what we do with that time that matters.

this kind of sums it up...

How It Happens 
The sky said I am watching
to see what you
can make out of nothing
I was looking up and I said
I thought you
were supposed to be doing that
the sky said Many
are clinging to that
I am giving you a chance
I was looking up and I said
I am the only chance I have
then the sky did not answer
and here we are
with our names for the days
the vast days that do not listen to us
 — W.S. MERWIN, poet laureate of the United States and author, most recently, of “The Shadow of Sirius,” which won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 2009

No comments: